On August 21st the IRS put out a press release, “IRS temporarily stops mailing notices to taxpayers with balances due”
Here is what it says:
- The IRS has stopped mailing certain notices. The reason? The notices are causing mass confusion because of unopened mail (to the IRS) that relates to the notice.
- To stop this confusion, and resulting barrage of phone calls, the IRS will wait to send notices until “the backlog of mail is reduced”
- When the IRS does finally open your mail and processes your payment, it will be “posted and credited on the date the IRS received”. This is good news.
- The IRS reminds taxpayers-Do not place a Stop Payment on your checks, we want your money. But if you do, the IRS will not assess a bad check penalty.
- The final item in the press release…Do not call us about your unprocessed payment. We will get to it. Lovely.
Oh, what a train wreck has occurred at the IRS.
If you need help sorting out your IRS situation let me know. As a recognized tax professional practicing before the IRS, I have special avenues that make accessing taxpayer information easier.
Ready to fix your Tax Problems? Get Started today with your personalized, Free CASE REVIEW